Dr. Maurizio Vurro, Research Director at the Bari section of ISPA, was recently elected Vice President of EWRS, the European Weed Research Society (www.ewrs.org), an international scientific society of great prestige, dealing with research activities on weeds. In particular, the EWRS acts to:
- promote and encourage weed research and management in Europe and elsewhere,
- assist in communication between researchers active in weed science,
- stimulate young scientists in taking up weed science as part of their research activities and to facilitate communication among young scientists.
- collaborate with national and international organizations involved in weed science.
- provide easily accessible scientific information on weed-related issues that can be relevant for policy makers, NGOs, industry, farmers and extension service providers, and other interested stakeholders.
- provide an up-to-date overview of relevant documents and websites related to weed management and policies that may have an impact on weed management.
The EWRS organizes activities by promoting specific Working Groups, periodically organizing international symposia, and managing the specialized journal ‘Weed Research’, the official scientific journal of the Society.
The office, which also includes the role of Chiarman of the EWRS ‘Scientific Committee’, will last until the end of 2023. In the following two years, Dr. Vurro will take on the office of EWRS President, as required by the articles of association.